07 Oct How To: Set Up VPN On Android
Looking to set up a VPN on your Android Device?
Whether you want to use your mobile device to connect to your company’s servers or improve your security when browsing the internet, follow our step by step guide below!
Android has integrated support for Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) and Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) VPNs. This means you can connect to these types of VPNs without needing to install any third-party apps.
If you plan on using other VPN protocols such as OpenVPN or Secure Socket Tunnelling Protocol, you may need to download the relevant apps from the Google Play store. If setting up a VPN to access your company’s servers, your IT department can direct you to any third-party apps to download if required.
Configuring A VPN
- Go to Settings > More or More Settings > VPN
- Tap the ‘+’ button or the Menu button then Add VPN Profile to add a new VPN network.
Field Description Name: enter the username as provided by your VPN provider. Type: Choose the protocol provided by your VPN service provider. Server Address: Enter the server address as specified by your VPN service provider. PPP Encryption (MPPE): Uncheck this checkbox.
- Tap Save .
- On the following screen tap on the VPN you just set up. You will be prompted to enter in your username and password.
- Ensure Save account information is checked.
- Tap Connect.
Enabling ‘Always-On’ VPN mode
Enable always-on VPN mode (only available in Android 4.2 and above) to make sure all data sent and received by your device is done over VPN only. To enable this:
- First connect to a VPN and save your account information.
- Tap Menu > Always –on VPN.
Connecting To A VPN
To connect to a VPN (if Always–on is not enabled):
- Go to Settings > More Settings > VPN.
- Tap on the VPN you would like to use. You may be prompted to enter your username and password if you did not save your account information when you created the VPN.
Don’t Have An Android?
We’ve created step by step guides for setting up a VPN for iOS or Windows Phone devices. Follow the links below: