24 Oct How To: Set Up Mobile Hotspot On Windows Phone 8.1
Ever needed to get your device online but there’s no WiFi to be found?
Here comes your smartphone to the rescue!
Windows smartphones have a nifty feature called ‘Mobile Hotspot’, which allows you to use your Windows Phone as a wireless modem to connect any WiFi enabled devices to the web. This means you’ll have access to the internet no matter where you are.
Personal Hotspot is incredibly easy to set up on your Windows Phone, but before we go into how to do it, there are a few things you need to know:
Before You Start: Things to Keep in Mind
Need A Data Plan?
We can provision data plans for our corporate and business customers, simply give us a call or send us an email.
Consumers will need to contact Telstra on 125 111.
- Check to see whether your carrier supports the Mobile Hotspot feature. This feature is supported by Telstra and available to Telstra customers.
- Turning your smartphone into a hotspot will use a significant amount of data. So, if your plan does not include a data allowance then you will be charged Telstra’s Pay As You Go Rate ($2/MB). This can become very expensive.
- You cannot use WiFi on your smartphone while other devices are connected via the Personal Hotspot.
Setup Mobile Hotspot Via WiFi
- Open up the App List.
- Select Settings > Select Internet Sharing.
- Turn Sharing to ON.
- Tap Setup.
- Enter Broadcast name (this will be the name of the WiFi hotspot).
- To setup a password, type that into the Password (minimum 8 characters) field.
- Tap the Confirm icon.
Connecting To The WiFi Hotspot
Once you have enabled and configured the mobile hotspot, you can connect your WiFi enabled device.
On The WiFi enabled device:
- Turn WiFi On.
- Find the list of available WiFi networks.
- Select the WiFi network created by the hotspot.
- You will be prompted to enter the WiFi password.
Don’t Have A Windows 8.1 Device?
We’ve created step by step guides for setting up a mobile hotspot for iOS or Android devices. Follow the links below: