29 Jan How To: Transfer Contacts From An iPhone To An Android
Switching to Android from an iPhone?
The last thing you want to do after switching to a new phone is having to rebuild your contact list. To save you the hassle, why not transfer your contacts across?
While there are two easy ways to transfer your contacts from an iPhone to an Android device, for both you will need an existing Google Account.
If you do not have one, you will need to sign up for a Google Account.
Importing Your iPhone Contacts Into Your Google Account
- On your iPhone, navigate to Settings > iCloud and then slide Contacts to the ‘Off’ position.
- Plug your iPhone into your computer and open iTunes.
- Navigate to Info in the top row of options for the iPhone and select Sync Contacts with Google Contacts. Select Configure to log into your Gmail account.
- It will prompt you to enter your Gmail username and password.
- Your iPhone contacts will begin syncing to your Google Account.
- Go to iCloud.com and login to your iCloud account.
- Click Contacts and you will see all of the iPhone contacts you have backed up to iCloud.
- Select all of your contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
- Click Settings > Export vCard.
- Login to Gmail and select Contacts.
- Click Import Contacts and you will be prompted to select the file, which will be your exported vCard file.
- Click Import. All of your iPhone contacts will be imported to Google Contacts.
Syncing Contacts With Your Android Device
Now that your iPhone contacts have been synced with your Googe Account, you are ready to begin syncing your contacts to your Android.
Before You Sync: Check For Duplicate Contacts
Before syncing your contacts with your Android device, its a good idea to check whether you have any duplicated contacts and to merge duplicate records. This is very easy to do in Gmail:
- Log into Gmail via a web browser.
- Click on More > Find & Merge Duplicates.
Syncing Google Contacts to Your Android
You will need to link your Google Account to your Android in order to sync your contacts to the device.
- On your Android device, go to Menu > Settings > Accounts and Sync.
- Tap on Add Account and select Google.
- Then, tap Sign in and enter the Gmail account you used to sync your contacts to.
- You will have to wait a while for the phone to connect to the Google’s servers. Once this has finished, you will need to select what you want to sync to your phone.
- Select Sync Contacts and tap on Finish.
- To double check your contacts have come across, navigate to your Contacts.
Need To Transfer Other Content?
If you have other content to transfer from an iPhone to an Android, check out our other guides below!